[GEM-dev] still not able to use gem...

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Aug 12 18:43:10 CEST 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Gerald Leier wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> i was wondering if there is any hardware requirements (gfx hardware)
> for getting gem running under linux with software openglrendering.
> (glxgears works just fine)
>
> after hiting the gemhead button on any demopatch a blackbox with
> nothing inside appears. got some "cant create double bufferd...."
> error and thats it.
>
> anyone got a clue ?
>
> or... may someone plaese tell me that its not possible right now to
> compile and run gem under linux if this is the truth.
>
> i want to play with gem not play arround with gem headerfiles. and for
> shure am not in the mood for trying to get this thing alive for another
> 2 weeks.

What we actually need is people who have time and knowledge to play around
with headerfiles :)

> ... any of the developers tried to build the cvs during the last week ?

Yes, from time to time the CVS breaks. Although this is annoying for some
there is probably nothing that can be done against it. After all it is a
tool for developers and not a distribution channel.

If you want to play around, there are debian binary packages of gem
available, where you do not have to build anything.

> btw. anyone heard of someone else trying to get gem to work for 2 weeks ?
>      under linux with compilation from source. is this default ? cause till
>      now i never have had such problems in getting software up and running.

Despite of some problems now and then gem builds well on a Debian
testing/unstable system. For other distributions we are still looking for
volunteers.

Greetings,

Guenter