[GEM-dev] Model loader under OSX

cgc at humboldtblvd.com cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Mon Sep 8 19:49:01 CEST 2003

Quoting ben at ekran.org:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to load an obj model into Gem OSX and it just seems to
> crash.
> The packaged venus.obj file works fine. Here is the PD output:

That seems to be the case with some .obj files.  The problem is in glm not in
GEM's use of it.  You might want to contact Nate Robbins who wrote glm.

> _glmFindMaterial():  can't find material "vn".
> *** malloc[500]: error for object 0x20c6690: Incorrect checksum for
> freed
> object - object was probably modified after being freed; break at
> szone_error

You can do one of two things: try and remove all the material references in the
.obj file or comment out the material loading part of glm.  We don't even use
the materials in GEM anyway.

> gdb tells me:
>
> Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
> 0x011f42cc in glmFacetNormals (model=0x20a9600) at
> /Users/cgc/CVS_Temp/Gem/src/Geos/model_loader.cpp:964
> 964     in /Users/cgc/CVS_Temp/Gem/src/Geos/model_loader.cpp
> (gdb) where

gdb is telling you that you need to be me in order to accurately debug this problem.

> I've attached the offending obj file (I tried three that all don't
> work)

so is this a model of britney spears or times square?

cgc