[GEM-dev] Re: Gem/src/Pixes pix_filmDarwin.cpp,1.18,1.18

tigital at mac.com tigital at mac.com
Fri Dec 12 20:47:00 CET 2003

On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 01:20  PM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

this is not only beta, this is the behviour of "auto" (as i see it):
> auto is for playback of a movie with no external counter required:
> this is
> especially important, as counters that are triggered via a metro will
> most
> probably not play back smoothly; instead one should derive the trigger
> from the
> gem-list itself
>
> furthermore it should be aware of stereo-rendering (but this is not
> yet implemented)
>

>> What is the purpose of auto to start with? Is it supposed to make it
>> easier
>> to built patches that have playing video (rather than using a
>> counter+metro). Is it supposed to only allow a looping facility? If
>
> i don't think that i (personally) want the looping facility within the
> [pix_film]

...I'm against a start/stop functionality:  I like the idea of [auto 1<
with a toggle control, and I'd also support the ability to speed it up
via an argument...but I thought that the point of auto was to allow the
film to play back at whatever framerate you'd set the gemwin?

> the whole thing is:
> should we make a complete movie-player-object for Gem ?
> or should it be possible to build a complete movie-player with Gem ?

...edit...

> which brings us back to the long-discussed, approved and never done
> "abstractions"-folder

...I really think we need this!  We already have the objects:  I think
something like ben's abstractions are probably a good place to
start...A good set of abstractions will go a looong way toward
improving the newbie's learning curve...

l8r,
jamie