[GEM-dev] Re: Gem/src/Base GemCache.cpp,1.4,1.4 GemCache.h,1.3,1.3

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Fri Mar 26 08:22:52 CET 2004

On Mar 25, 2004, at 11:40 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> and then i changed the code a bit to enable [gemhead]s to be created
> on the fly and immediately start rendering (without having to restart
> it manually by sending [0,1( to the [gemwin])
>
> anyhow, this (and the prior changes to the GemCache) created a bunch
> of other mis-behaviour but i finally got an idea what made Gem
> crashing when objects where modified (e.g: sending floats to [rotate])
> while rendering was turned off: all the objects hold local copies of
> the pointer to the GemCache. AND they modify the GemCache with
> setModified().
>
> so i added a magic-number to the GemCache to ensure that the pointer
> is still valid. (and accordingly changed all the involved objects)
>
> so i hope this issue is really fixed for now.
> any tests ?

This magically cured the random crash on OSX deep inside the OS window
destruction routines.  Why the hell this worked I have no clue.

The only thing I've found broken now is that stopping then starting
rendering turns off all of the pix_ objects.  I put m_processOnOff = 1;
in the startRendering() in GemPixObj, but that didn't seem to work.  I
couldn't find any explicit setting of this beyond the constructor
arguments anywhere else in GEM.  Any ideas?

cgc