[GEM-dev] 0.90 and pix_video under Linux

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 21 11:17:53 CEST 2004

Mirko Petrovich wrote:
> Hi IOhannes,
>
> Thanks for your reply, but I'm not having any luck.
>
> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>

>> > Alpha blending doesn't work with pix_video using [alpha] and
>> > [colorRGB]in the renderchain (it worked in 0.888-cvs).Should I use
>> > [pix_alpha] instead ?
>>
>> hmm. i just tried and it certainly works for me.
>> does it produce any result (e.g.: image dimming but no transparency) ?
>

> Nothing but black.

probably your [color]/[colorRGB] is set to black ? (or the alpha-channel
  is 0 ??)
thinking of this, it might be, that the video4linux-driver is able to
produce RGBA-images but unfortunately sets the alpha-channel of each
pixel to 0. in this case, you will have to raise it manually.

> My idea was filling buffers on the fly, and selecting from differents
> sources (pix_video, pix_film, pix-mixers), so I guess I will have to
> send a flag to activate pix_flip depending on the source.

probably yes

> I don't understand this solution, do you mean rewriting in cpp or just
> the patches ?

unfortunately C++

>> and (if you want to zoom in a videoIN-image) you could do some tricks
>> with offset/dimen-messages to the [pix_video]-object
>
> I will try this, at least for video-IN.

but again you will get images of different dimensions.

if the whole thing is just about fading several streams, use
openGL-alpha blending instead of [pix_mix], so you don't have to care
about dimensions at all (so the only remaining issue would be, setting
the alpha-value of the [pix_video] to a decent value)

mfg.ads.ca