[GEM-dev] Re: [PD] Bug with [pix_film] on os X

Etienne Desautels titi at sat.qc.ca
Sat Jul 10 01:14:36 CEST 2004

On 04-07-08, at 18:18, chris clepper wrote:

> This is a bug with Nvidia's drivers which do not handle YUV textures
> properly.
> You can sned pix_film a 'colorspace rgb' message, but this will
> drastically
> reduce performance.  If you want to get an ATI card like an 8500 or
> better,
> then that will solve the problem quite well.  You can also go back to
> a version
> of OSX before 10.2.6 and that might work, but it's been quite some
> time since
> I've tried that.

I tried with the colorspace rgb and it solve the problem but, as you
said, it double the cpu usage. What do you think about using the nvidia
extension of the 10.2.6 in 10.3.4?

> Also, I think you are mistaken about pix_movie not doing this - it's
> the exact
> same code as pix_film + pix_texture just wrapped in a single object.
> Maybe the
> default is set to RGB colorspace - I don't recall off hand.

I did some new tests and I never have the problem with pix_movie and if
I look at the cpu usage, it's about the same that when I play the same
DV file with pix_film in YUV. So it gives me the feel that it was
playing in YUV, but I was not able to send some colorspace message to
pix_movie (err = no colorspace method()).

Also, I would like to know why is it working with Gem 0.87 and not 0.9
if it's a bug with Nvidia's drivers ?

> This is also the
> first I've heard of starting and stopping rendering 'fixing' the
> problem.  This
> issue has been confirmed by many other developers including the VLC
> people, and
> an official bug is on file with Apple (Nividia have no real OSX
> developer
> support at all).

I can replicate this behaviour anytime and if I look at the cpu usage
before and after to stop/start the rendering is about the same, so it
look like the file is still playing in YUV after.

On 04-07-09, at 02:36, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> you could also try sending a message "yuv 0" to the [pix_texture]
> object before(!) anything else (at least, before the first image
> arrives at the texture-object). this should turn convert and texture
> any yuv-image as RGB.

I tried this also but it didn't worked ?

Thank you all for your support !

Etienne