[GEM-dev] OSX building: configure & make?

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Mon May 16 16:07:23 CEST 2005

hello,

...after upgrading to 10.4, I figured it would be nice to update the
GEM project so that it would be more easily compiled, and this would
mean to have xcode call an "external build system", which we already
have in configure and make...unfortunately, right outta the gates
configure isn't recognising the platform:

tiggity:~/puredataDev/Gem/src/gnu tigital$ ./configure --with-ftgl
creating cache ./config.cache
uname: illegal option -- -
usage: uname [-amnprsv]
uname: illegal option -- -
usage: uname [-amnprsv]
HEAD: /usr/include /usr/local/include ../../../GemLibs/
LIBS: ../../../GemLibs/ /usr/local/lib /usr/local/src
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host
type; you must specify one
tiggity:~/puredataDev/Gem/src/gnu tigital$

...and I know little to nothing about configure scripts...so, I
wonder if I shouldn't just make a specific "makefile.osx" and leave
that in gem/src/gnu?  If this is done, will it be able to detect new
files as they are added, or do we have to also go ahead and change
the makefile for each file added?

jamie