[GEM-dev] vertex_array

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Aug 20 08:48:21 CEST 2005

hi.

????

 > On Aug 19, 2005, at 10:04 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
 >

 >> well, i do still believe that a generic approach would be better.

so this is my personal opinion

chris clepper wrote:
> I don't agree at all.  It doesn't make any sense to have the arrays with
> sizes that do not fit the data type.   I think the usefulness of
> switching vertex with color or normal data is very minor and it simply
> won't work without translating that data any way.

that was not the whole point of my arguing.

> Vertex data can be of any range for x,y,z,w, but color and texcoods
> range from 0..1.  Plus, the texcoords are only two elements so how do
> you reconcile that?  Have the results of cramming one data type into the
> other even been proven effective at all?

so whats the exact difference in floating point vertices and color ?
both are 4 elements but color is ranged between 0..1 (but as far as i
remember there is no _real_ floating point type ranging between 0..1;
apart from the hackish GLtypes)

> The user should know what that data format is or else they will be
> feeding four elements to an object manipulating texcoords or normals and
> wondering why in the hell only two or three values do anything.  I
> intended these objects to be a more advanced set of tools for those who
> have hit the limit of static geometry, and it's not unreasonable to
> expect someone to know the basics of 3D and OpenGL at that point.

i was talking rather about the interface.
people might also wonder why z does nothing in orthogonal viewing.

what i meant is: people need not be aware how the data is stored in
reality: if they are feeding texcoords (to their own good: only two
values) they might not care at all, whether the 2 values are stored in a
8-element double array or as 2 integer values (they might care a bit,
because of the resulting resolution with the integer values, but that is
just the way it is (like 32bit-color is just 32bit color))

from an interfacing poin of view, it remains the same (remember that in
pd we only have exactly one data-type: floating point)

> The idea to have a single object that works on all of the data types is
> a good one.  There's no reason these objects cannot take an argument or
> message to set the array to be manipulated and the object then choosing
> the right loop to run.

hey, great we have at least found something we agree on.

> Honestly, I vote for no vertex data objects at all over forcing the data
> into inappropriate containers.  I would just change the objects back to
> the proper formats for my own use which is what I'm doing now.

so what should i do now ??
apperenty saying that "damned, it is not exactly like i wanted it to be;
but hey, for the sake of getting it finally done, i agree to those os-x
guys and we should sacrifice the whole one-single-array-type idea and do
separate arrays for the various data-types (we _might_ think later about
unifying this again, when someone has done a performance test and showed
me some numbers)" is not enough for you.

what else should i offer ? do i have to pay you to get your ideas done
rather than mine ??

finally, it will be me who will have to change to code back.

mfg.a.sr