[GEM-dev] Re: GEM shader usage

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Fri Dec 2 20:49:47 CET 2005

On Dec 2, 2005, at 10:41 AM, B. Bogart wrote

> I'm using the debian package for 0.38-4 and it works fine.

...I'm using the pd-extended RC5, which is 0.38-4, but also I've
tried on 0.39-1 in pd++.app...

> It sounds like your sending a message not possible in PD, could you
> send
> me an example snip that is causing the issue?

...hmm:  all I'm doing is opening help-entry.pd, clicking on one of
the messages, then banging the entry box, with the expectation that
something will be printed to console, but it never does...as a matter
of fact, I have no idea what the example/help patch outputs are
supposed to do, since they don't seem to do anything no matter what
message I input in the help patch...

> Everything typed into [entry] must be valid as what is typed in a
> messagebox. here are a few examples:
> -> means results in
>
> hello -> symbol hello
> whats up -> list whats up
> 10 -> 10
> 0.0000001 -> 1e-07
> "hello" -> symbol "hello"
> " hello " -> list " hello "
> ; test hello -> send [r test] hello
> {hello} -> symbol \{hello\}
> \n -> symbol n
>
> since there is no string type this seemed the most logical way to
> do things
>
> I've also used it with [tosymbol] but I don't have that external on
> this
> machine here...
>
> I fear the text you are entering may have symbols giving PD, and
> therefore
> entry, trouble. :(

...I fear it's just an osx thing, so I'm looking for other solutions...

james