FOUND! Re: [entry] broken on RC4/5 - WAS Re: [GEM-dev] Re: GEM shader usage

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Dec 7 16:40:08 CET 2005

I'm not sure if this should stay on gem-dev or what...

Anyhow I've traced the issue and here is where the problem lies. My
original code outputted the symbol like so:

sys_vgui("pd [concat entry%p output [.x%x.c.s%x get 0.0 end] \\;]\n", x,
x->x_glist, x);

Johannes made the valiant effort to escape "," and ";" so that are not
seperated into descrete messages in PD. Basically meaning you can't type
a message for the entry widget containing messages for it, and you can't
send to a receive directly from the widget. I think this is ok, but I
did not see much reason to change it. His change looks like this:

sys_vgui("pd [concat entry%p output [string map {\",\" \"\\\\,\" \";\"
\"\\\\;} [.x%x.c.s%x get 0.0 end]]\" \\;]\n", x, x->x_glist, x);

I tried removing the

\"

at:

end]]\"

thinking that may be the problem, but indeed I can't make this code work
with PD complaining about unmatches quotes. Worse than that is that the
code works fine on my 8.4 interpreter, just not in PD...

So Johannes, since you introduced the bug, care to fix it?

Also the good news is that my original "unfixed" code worked fine on PD
0.39, so the issue was only Johannes's changes. Which also explains why
popup works on 0.39, since it uses the same code to output.

Johannes, I really do appreciate your effort here, thanks for logging
your changes also. Please do let me know when you make such future
changes in an email though so I can make sure they work myself soon
after you commit them.

Since you did write the extra code for escaping I'm sure your the best
person to fix it.

Unless someone sees any reason why not I'll change the code back to the
way it used to be and re-commit. I fear how many distros are running out
there with broken [entry]s. :( Looks like it was commited in August.

Johannes, does this code really work on your machine?!?!! It certainly
does not work on my linux machine, and the mac, and Han's reported it
also not working on windows.

Johannes please reply to this email if you would not like me to recommit
back to the code before your changes! (and provide a reason why) just to
make sure you have the revision somewhere on your machine, though I
guess you can get it from CVS. (revision 1.4 would be yours)

Thanks all for reporting this!

b.