[GEM-dev] GL extensions on Windows

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 00:37:45 CET 2005

I have attempted to build a version of GEM on Windows that supports GL
greater than 1.1 without success so far.  Google has given me some
conflicting info about the process stating 'use SGI glext.h' or 'don't use
anything from SGI' or 'use GLEW or the like'.  I have glext.h which allows
for a clean compile but linking always fails with something like this:

fragment_program.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_glGetProgramivARB at 12 referenced in function "protected: virtual void
__thiscall fragment_program::printInfo(void)"
(?printInfo at fragment_program@@MAEXXZ)

Well, duh.  The MS opengl32.lib obviously knows jack about the changes to GL
since 1996.  It doesn't look like an alternative lib exists.  So what the
heck does one do?  I have a little sample code that basically cuts and
pastes the typedefs from glext.h into the source, assigns a pointer to a
local var and doesn't include glext.h, but that seems like an obnoxious way
to deal with the 800 billion extensions since GL 1.1.