[GEM-dev] Re: new binaries for Windows and OSX

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Feb 3 11:06:12 CET 2006

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> chris clepper wrote:
>

>> - pix_record is working on OSX and Windows
>

> damned, that should be working on all platforms (i should do that)

just because i am currently looking into how to integrate [pix_record]
for linux:
could we please find a common way of how such highly platform dependent
objects should be done in the future?
it should have been fairly easy to build [pix_record] using a mechanism
like in [pix_film](NEW), [pix_movie](NEW) and [pix_video](NEW).

the basic idea is to split the code into 2 parts: A is to interface pd,
B is to interface the library-API.

this way we can have one object support multiple APIs _and_ have clean
code in the implementations of all APIs.

the way [pix_film] used to handle this was fooling pd by having
different (os-specific) objects (in different files) that share the same
class name.
i think this is awful.
the other possibility is having a nightmare of ifdefs within one single
file.
this is even worse.

if you have strong objections, we can discuss it here.
it would be really nice if we could find a common agreement on that in
order to not frustrate the other ones....

mfg.a.dsr