[GEM-dev] pix_freeframe and m_instance

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Wed Feb 8 19:59:32 CET 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 12:06 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> james tittle wrote:
>
>> (the plugin structure was changed for the freeframe 1.0 spec)...I've
>
> when?
> or rather: the Gem-support for FreeFrame happened after FreeFrame-1.0
> spec. the newest files i get are from 2004.

...yeh, but I was using code for the dylib loading that came from
pre-1.0 freeframe examples, in particular an example app called
"FreeframeHostOSX"...but also, there's no mention of the change from
dylibs to bundles in the developer documentation, and the freeframe
sdk for osx only shows how to build plugins, not load them...curious
documentation ommission!  Even odder, it appears that we're the only
open source implementation of freeframe on osx (gephex says they have
it, but it's unreleased and likely not available on osx for the same
reasons I faced)...

>> got the new bundle loading code working, but it's crashing when
>> trying
>> to actually processImage()...the most obvious problem in gdb  is that
>> the height and width don't seem to be passed to the plugin,  and I'm
>> having a hard time finding where this is filled out...this is
>> working
>> on linux, right?
>
> as far as i can test (there are not that many plugins available on
> linux): pete's plugins work fine and gabor's ports of the
> xscreensavers
> do so as well (both are compiled by me)
>
> the size of the frame is fixed for an instance of the plugin.
> therefore a check is done at the beginning of processImage(); on
> instatiation of a freeframe-plugin, a struct "vidinfo" of type
> VideoInfoStruct is passed, which holds the meta information of the
> frames.

...aha, a coupla well placed breakpoints later, and it seems that
there's an osx problem with the format assignments at the start of
processImage():  fr'instance, I loaded a movie with [colorspace
RGBA<, but the m_image.format that gets passed to "format" is
GL_YUV422_GEM!  Obviously this isn't right, so i'll have to track
down why...

> btw, last time i tested, it also worked on w32....

...good to hear, I'll get it working here soon, I hope ;-)

thanx,
jamie