[GEM-dev] which gem to include in upcoming release

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Nov 2 16:58:36 CET 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 10:49 AM, chris clepper wrote:

> On 11/2/06, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>
> The only thing that I have noticed is that the current HEAD doesn't
> build on Mac OS X 10.3.  It was building fine until a couple weeks
> ago.
>
> The Altivec code?  That is a mystery since I have built that on
> using Apple's GCC 3.3 on 10.4.
>
> What is your plan for binaries?  OSX 10.3 and 10.4 versions with/
> without Altivec?  What about Windows i386 and i686 with and without
> SSE?

I was planning on just one release per platform.  In the long run, we
could provide CPU-specific builds, but its too much work for me right
now.  If anyone wants to take that project on, I would gladly help.
Basically, there needs to be a standardized method of specifying
optimization flags.  This is working the pd/src/makefile and
externals/Makefile now, but things that aren't based on that don't
get the flags (cyclone, zexy, Gem, pdp, pidip,...).

Most of what is involved is just having standard names for a Makefile
variable for the optimization flags.  Then the necessary variables
can be easily overridden from the Makefile that calls the others.
Check packages/*/Makefile for examples. Right now, that standard name
is OPT_CFLAGS.

.hc

> If you make a tag, then I can use that as the starting place for the
> Pd-extended branch.
>
> We will wait until the other two agree with the tag point and some
> people in the field confirming that something critical isn't
> horribly broken.
>
> cgc

publicity.          - Bill Moyers