[GEM-dev] Slow Lua [was: Re: Why is [hsv2rgb] implemented as an abstraction?]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 11 23:43:55 CET 2007

Hallo,
Wesley Smith hat gesagt: // Wesley Smith wrote:

> Lua is not really good for doing matrix processing within the script
> in realtime as it will incur all kinds of overhead.  It's best instead
> to deal with a matrix userdata type with arithmetic metamethod calls
> defined.  This will be really fast and completely dynamic.

Thanks for these hints. I actually had my benchmark wrong as well, and
even with floats, Lua was slower than Pd in that case, even
sigificantly slower.

However Pd also doesn't use any special matrix ops in the hsv2rgb
abstractions. Basically the conversion is just a rather small bunch of
additions and multiplications, and still pdlua here was slower. This
is similar to [expr] being slower than an explicitly coded Pd patch.

OTOH some benchmarks I did with GL operations in Lua showed Lua to be
quite a bit faster than Gem/Pd.

Do you have some further hints where Lua may not be appropriate
compared to patching Pd directly?

Ciao