[GEM-dev] ftgl on osx

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Apr 16 20:27:45 CEST 2008

Marius,

Did you delete that libfreetype in /usr/local/lib?  Since I can
successfully auto-build Gem on two different 10.5/Leopard machines, I
am guessing it is something in your setup, especially things like
manually installed libs in /usr/local and other places.

.hc

On Apr 16, 2008, at 1:29 PM, marius schebella wrote:
> chris clepper wrote:
>> Looking at the configure.ac <http://configure.ac> file building on
>> Darwin should disable x11, but maybe there is a problem elsewhere
>> in the configure process?  This is more of a Zmoelnig quesiton
>> since I use XCode on OSX.  If you want a project file I can post
>> it here although it will probably require a fair amount of work to
>> make usable especially if you are not used to Apple's second rate
>> IDE.
>
> no, I am fine, since manually it works. I am only trying to get the
> autobuilds working and I think project files do not help here. (and
> I am not familiar with 2nd rate ide neither..)
> marius.
>

>> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:49 AM, marius schebella
>> <marius.schebella at gmail.com <mailto:marius.schebella at gmail.com>>
>> wrote:
>>     I'm using the makefile that ships with gem.
>>     I do
>>     cd Gem/src
>>     aclocal
>>     autoconf
>>     /configure --without-x --without-ImageMagick --without-tiff
>>     --without-jpeg --without-mpeg --without-mpeg3 --without-ieee1394
>>     --without-aviplay --without-avifile --without-ffmpeg
>>     --with-ftgl-includes=/sw/include --with-ftgl-libs=/sw/lib
>>     --with-pd=/Users/marius/devel/pd-rsync/pd-extended/pd
>>     make
>>     I think the makefile is not the problem, but the config process,
>>     because I end up with a Make.config that has
>>     GEM_LIBS = $(LIBS) -Wl,-framework,OpenGL -L/sw/lib -L/usr/
>> X11R6/lib
>>     -lobjc -lfreetype -lftgl
>>     but without
>>     -Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/
>> Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/Frameworks/
>> OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
>>     which would bout solve a problem that is caused by apple and not
>>     gem. so I have to go into Make.config and edit this by hand
>> (which I
>>     cannot do when I try to run the autobuild scripts). what I would
>>     need is a fix that writes a "correct" Make.config.
>>     since this is all an apple problem I am also trying to upgrade
>> xcode
>>     and hope that apple fixed the problem in between.
>>     marius.
>>     chris clepper wrote:
>>         On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:55 AM, marius schebella
>>         <marius.schebella at gmail.com
>> <mailto:marius.schebella at gmail.com>
>>         <mailto:marius.schebella at gmail.com
>>         <mailto:marius.schebella at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>            still getting the same error
>>            g++ -o Gem.pd_darwin  -dynamiclib -mmacosx-version-
>> min=10.3
>>            -undefined dynamic_lookup -framework QuickTime -
>> framework Carbon
>>            -framework AGL -framework OpenGL   ./Objects/*.o -L/sw/lib
>>         -ldl -lz
>>            -lm   -lpthread -L/Users/marius/devel/pd-rsync/pd-
>> extended/pd/bin
> [...]

----

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith