[GEM-dev] invalid enumeration (was: GEM: where to find gem-CVS20060412-NT-i686-bin (windows binaries))

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri May 9 22:07:42 CEST 2008

Quoting Matteo Sisti Sette <matteosistisette at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> IOhannes wrote:
>> which things do NOT
>> work? which behave differently?
>
> Another problem with the current 0.91 beta for Windows XP is that, whatever
> video file I open with pix_film (even using the pix_film help patch), I get
> a continuous flow of error messages:
> "GL: invalid enumeration"
> one message per frame!!!

hmm, which gfx-card do you have? (which driver?) does it support openGL-2.0?

anyhow, i have added a new object [GEMglReportError], which you can
use to find the source even more easily. just put it into the
gemchain, and it will output a non-0 value to it's right output
whenever it encounters an error (probably use [change]->[print])

> This does not happen with old 2006 version, on the same machine, same
> everything except gem version.
> With that version, I only get ONE such error message every time I create the
> gemwin, not one per frame.

i get ONE error on _some_ machines; but i don't see it here on w32
(though i think the same machine on linux does produce this error)

> I have DirectX 9.0c and QuickTime 7.4.5.
>
> Apart from preventing you to see any other useful debug information or any
> [print] output, and apart from being certainly a symptom of something very
> wrong, I suspect such a huge flow of messages to the console may be
> affecting performance: is it possible?

not directly.
but once you have generated thousands of these, the buffer of the
pd-console will fill up and eventually eat all your memory.
a quick workaround is to run pd with "-stderr" which is faster.

fmkadsr