[GEM-dev] setting -mmacosx-version-min to 10.4

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 7 20:13:56 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Sorry, I was trying to be funny and I guess I wasn't clear.  There was a

blush.

> 10.3 machine in the build farm for a long while.  Then Gem stopped
> building on 10.3, so I dropped the 10.3 machine.  I don't know if
> current versions of Gem build on 10.3, but last I tried Gem definitely
> did not build on 10.3.  And I posted on this list about it back then too.

right the archive show something in 2006-11.
re-reading the archives, i see that it is not very clear on the final
result: it might as well have worked after my fixes back then.

> For the last Pd-extended release for 10.3, I actually manually included
> an older Gem build.  So my guess is that Gem still does not build on
> 10.3, and if we are going to use the -mmacosx-version-min flag, it
> should be set appropriately.

again: mmacosx-version-min is about the target platform, not the compile
platform. i guess one can use a recent compiler and recent features of
this compiler and still run on a target machine that would not be able
to compile the entire shebang.
so the question is not whether it builds on 10.3 but whether it runs on 10.3

> As for freetype, its included starting in 10.5 in /usr/X11/lib.  That
> means if you want to build on 10.5 and have it be compatible with 10.4,
> you need to include an -isysroot flag to force the build to use the 10.4
> SDK.

darn.
but this means that the macosx-version-min doesn't help us here either.

fmgasd