[GEM-dev] videoKINECT plugin for pix_video

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Mar 21 22:39:12 CET 2011

Yeah, if we click [driver kinect( on Mac OS X, we get "no method for
driver". It might be a similar situation on Windows.  So a pix_kinect
object would be a fast way to get started on non-GNU/Linux.

.hc

On Mar 21, 2011, at 5:28 PM, sonia yuditskaya wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
> if you know how to make a pix_kinect object please do!
> It turns out that on mac there is no driver support for cameras in
> pix_video, it is all just going through quicktime.
>
> I tried PD-extended's 20110101 to the latest version (sporadically,
> not each one :) and the only cameras they would take on my mac was
> the built in isight and the logitech 9000 which is incredibly well
> supported. So there is the conclusion.
>
> Cheers,
> Sofy Yuditskaya
> ] yuditskaya.com [
>

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Matthias Kronlachner <m.kronlachner at student.tugraz.at
> > wrote:
> hi!
>
> it would not be too difficult to make a separate pix_kinect object
> that does not depend on pix_video,
> but i think it would be good if pix_video is working with the
> pluginsystem not only on linux and to keep the videoKINECT idea.
>
> beside:
> i found a nice smoothing trick for the depth image: http://www.morethantechnical.com/2011/03/05/neat-opencv-smoothing-trick-when-kineacking-kinect-hacking-w-code/
> a pix_opencv_inpaint object therefore would be good.
>
> in vvvv there is an object Kinect Multi Skeleton that outputs the
> depth image AND the skeleton data based on openNI.
> maybe a similar object for gem with the openNI framework would be
> more useful than the libfreenect approach. (because you can't
> connect 2 times to the kinect if you want sceleton and depth image)
> i'll have a look on that...
>

> matthias
>
> Am 21.03.11 21:52, schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:
>

> Hey Matthias,
>
> Seems our problems are bigger than this plugin.  We are having
> trouble on getting pix_video working at all on both Mac OS X 10.5.8
> and 10.6 with the latest Gem from svn.  I'm using Pd-extended
> nightly 0.43-20110318 and Sofy is using 0.43-20110119.
>
> .hc
>
> On Mar 21, 2011, at 3:30 PM, Matthias Kronlachner wrote:
>
> you tried it with the latest Gem from svn?
>
> the videoKINECT.so file seems to be not linked against libfreenect.
> i could not find where to include this in the configure/make system
> and entered it manually in the makefile - this should of course be
> corrected.
> but that cannot be the reason for the "no method for driver".
>
> Am 21.03.11 20:53, schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:
>
> I just built it for Mac OS X, but when I try the [driver( message,
> it says "no method for driver". I attached my binary, if anyone
> wants to try it.
>
> .hc
>

> On Mar 20, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Matthias Kronlachner wrote:
>
> hello,
>
> i am working on a videoKINECT plugin for pix_video.
> it depends on libfreenect.
> the current result can be found here:
>
> http://home.eduhi.at/just4fun/matzisoft/homepage/downloads/videoKINECT.tar.gz

> [...]

You can't steal a gift. Bird gave the world his music, and if you can
hear it, you can have it. - Dizzy Gillespie