[GEM-dev] Compiling Gem 0.92-3 on OSX 10.6.8

Florian Grond fgrond at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Feb 1 19:41:22 CET 2012

Thanks for your help!

I managed to compile Gem 0.92-3 and Gem 0.93-3 using autoconf
and I figured I might as well go with 0.93-3.

I'm using PD-extended 0.42.5 and I found GEM 0.92-3 in the Package
Contents, where I deleted it.
I downloaded a Gem 0.93-3 binary and placed it in /Library/Pd/Gem
together with pix_drum pix_fiducial pix_mano

This combination seems to work fine
when starting PD extended it loads Gem 0.93.3 compiled Nov 10 2011

Now compilation from the sources, after the following configure line:

./configure --with-pd=/Users/maki/Development/pure-data/src
--with-extension=d_fat --enable-fat-binary=i386

and make

I found the following

gem_filmDarwin.so
gem_filmQT.so
gem_imageQT.so
gem_imageSGI.so
gem_recordQT.so
gem_videoDarwin.so
Gem.d_fat

If I compare it with what I see in /Library/Pd/Gem I figured that I
don't have have some of the so files and I also miss the
Gem.pd_Darwin

I thought I could just take Gem.d_fat and the so files and place it in
/Library/Pd/Gem
which I did, PD-extended starts but shows compiled Nov 10 2011

Everything seems to work, but I figured it uses the Gem.pd_Darwin
universal binary.

So I tried this configuer line:

./configure --with-pd=/Users/maki/Development/pure-data/src
--enable-fat-binary=i386

the output from configure tells me that the target is now Gem.pd_darwin

After make, when I copy the Gem.pd_Darwin into /Library/Pd/Gem
PD can't load it and says Symbol not found : _sys_close expected in flat
namespace

I also have some class files that I've added to the sources but they
seem not to get compiled. (That's the reason why I need to compile Gem)
I can't find the corresponding object files.

Any help, i.e do I need on OSX 10.6.8 Gem.pd_Darwin or Gem.d_fat and
what would be the correct configure option and how do I include my own
class files much appreciated,

Florian