[GEM-dev] Compiling Gem 0.92-3 on OSX 10.6.8

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Feb 2 09:59:07 CET 2012

On 2012-02-01 19:41, Florian Grond wrote:

> and make
>
> I found the following
>
> gem_filmDarwin.so
> gem_filmQT.so
> gem_imageQT.so
> gem_imageSGI.so
> gem_recordQT.so
> gem_videoDarwin.so
> Gem.d_fat
>
> If I compare it with what I see in /Library/Pd/Gem I figured that I
> don't have have some of the so files

well, you the Gem binary release has been compiled on machines that have
more development libraries installed that your machine; therefore there
is support for some more backends, which results in more plugins (files
with .so extension)

anyhow, you should even be able to use the plugins from the release with
your self-compiled Gem!

> and I also miss the
> Gem.pd_Darwin

well, you specified that you wanted to create a Gem.d_fat, rather than a
Gem.pd_darwin at the cmdline.
you get what you ask for.

> I thought I could just take Gem.d_fat and the so files and place it in
> /Library/Pd/Gem
> which I did, PD-extended starts but shows compiled Nov 10 2011

this seems to be a bug in Pd-extended, which (for reasons of
incompatibility) prefers to not be able to load .d_fat files on osx and
instead uses only .pd_darwin (though - for reasons unknown - it allows
e.g. .l_i386 and .pd_linux on linux/i386; so this seems to solve some
special osx issue)

i would advise you to file a bug-report against pd-extended.

> Everything seems to work, but I figured it uses the Gem.pd_Darwin
> universal binary.
>
> So I tried this configuer line:
>
> ./configure --with-pd=/Users/maki/Development/pure-data/src
> --enable-fat-binary=i386
>
> the output from configure tells me that the target is now Gem.pd_darwin

right; you could have simply renamed all .d_fat files to .pd_darwin

> After make, when I copy the Gem.pd_Darwin into /Library/Pd/Gem
> PD can't load it and says Symbol not found : _sys_close expected in flat
> namespace

again, seems to be a problem with Pd version mismatch.
i suspect that you compiled Gem using Pd-0.43 and are now using Pd-0.42
(or some other older version).
it's always best to use the same version for compilation and running!

> I also have some class files that I've added to the sources but the
> seem not to get compiled. (That's the reason why I need to compile Gem)
> I can't find the corresponding object files.

depends on how you added them.
just putting the .cpp/.h files into src/Pixes/ is no longer enough!
you have to explicitely add them to src/Pixes/Makefile.am

fgmasdr
IOhannes