[GEM-dev] please reopen bug 3222807

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 15 10:41:23 CET 2012

On 2012-02-15 03:21, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bug 3222807 should be reopened. Or if you prefer to file a new one and
> copy-paste the information because it "is good for the bugs-closed
> statistic" then go ahead.

while i do like bugs being closed (also for the statistics :-)), this is
usually not the reason why a ticket get's closed.

also:
if you talk about a specific issue, please provide a link.
it is not very hard to go to the sourceforge page, navigate to the
tracker (hopefully choosing the right one), pasting the bug-id you gave
into the search field, doing a search and then clicking on the result.
however, it is super-easy to just click on a direct link to the ticket
(and i figure it is about the same amount of work for you to copy the
correct bug-id as to copy the entire url)

furthermore:
if you want to re-open an automatically closed bug, you should be able
by adding another comment to the issue. sf will automatically re-open it.

and:
keep in mind, that if a given bugreport closed as "fixed", this doesn't
mean that a specific version of Gem will suddenly stop having a given
problem. bugs are usually closed as soon as there is a fix in the
current development branch of Gem. this doesn't mean that you as an
end-user can already download a fixed release.

> It affects both Windows and Linux. Zmoelnig said he tested it on Mac OS
> and works, I believe that, but I've tested it again on Linux and I
> confirm the issue. And windows of course.

the ticket has been closed because it is really believed to be fixed.
only now i tested with a git-snapshot of Gem (b41709baf), and
Gem-0.93.3, as is packaged in Debian.
both can load the sol2.tif file just fine.
and yes, i have installed the imageMAGICK plugin for Gem
(gem-plugin-magick on debian) to do the decoding.
imageMAGICK is _the_ plugin to load images on linux. if you need to be
able to load a large number of different image-formats, then you really
should use it.

if you are on w32 or OSX, starting with 0.93 you can use the imageQT
plugin on both platforms, which uses QuickTime and should be able to
open any image file that QuickTime can open (if not, it's a bug, and it
is definitely a separate bug from #3222807; if you think that this bug
is (still) there, please go ahead and open a new bugreport).

note that i cannot currently test whether it works as expected on w32.

obviously, you will need QuickTime installed on your machine, in order
to use imageQT (OSX (i386/ppc) already comes with it; in w32 land, you
have to install it manually).
i don't know by heart, whether the Gem-0.93.3 w32-installer has the
imageQT plugin selected by default; however, it is definitely included
in the installer.

> Also note the annoying "threaded loaded image: ..." as if the image was
> succesfully loaded (well it is succesfully loaded but not decoded).

well, if you get the dreaded threaded loaded message, you are surely
using an "uptodate" version of Gem...

> - regarding windows, Zmoelnig said:
> "w32: Gem uses some rather old static code to decode image files (hence
> there is only a very limited number of supported formats); this code might
> not be able to read your TIFF file, and i have no real intent to fix this;
> rather, the w32 version should switch to a more common API (DirectSomething
> and/or QT) for reading images."
>
> Well that definitely needs to be done.

no.
that definitely has already been done.

> As does [...]

upgrading to a the latest stable release of Gem...

mfgasdr
IOhannes