[GEM-dev] vlc plugin under OSX

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Apr 4 22:50:32 CEST 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 2:49 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2012-04-04 15:58, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> That would mean adding -I/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/include to CPPFLAGS and -L/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/ to LDFLAGS for the build.  IMHO, the Gem build system would do that when it builds the VLC plugin on Mac OS X.
>

> yes, but i don't think that Gem should do that automatically for you.
> it should be possible though, to simply specify where VLC resides.

./configure build systems normally look for the various libraries that the given project needs.  On GNU/Linux, this is easy since ./configure mostly just has to look in /usr and maybe /usr/local.  Mac OS X is sadly not as organized, but there are some standards, like putting apps into /Applications.

So ./configure finding /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libvlc.dylib, then adding -I/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/include to CPPFLAGS and -L/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/ to LDFLAGS make a lot of sense.  It could also look in ~/Applications and /sw/Applications if it needed to be thorough.

"[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.