[GEM-dev] Problem with glitching on OS X at high frame rates

Theo Burt tb504 at york.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 12:14:22 CEST 2012

Thanks everyone for all their suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't run
the graphics on  a different thread, as they are so tightly integrated
with data from the audio thread.

Does anyone know how the vsync works on OSX? I mean how does GEM wait
for the vsync, to flip the buffer? Does it block the process at any
point? Is the process blocked by any part of GEM at any point, on a per
frame basis?

For example, after the all the opengl has been executed, I'm presuming a
system call is made to actually render the screen? What is this call,
and could it simply be that something, perhaps operating system related,
is causing it to take too long to return? That would tie in with moving
windows around the desktop making the problem worse...

OR, (and this may sound strange), there's no possibility for a denormal
to creep in anywhere is there? It's just what happens to the system (the
whole of PD seems to slow down to about 50% while the glitches are going
on) is particularly reminiscent of denormal issues I've had in the past...