[GEM-dev] [pix_video] error with macbook's built-in camera

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 19:19:07 CET 2017

GEM needs to be updated to use a different video backend as QuickTime is no longer available. This has been a known issue for years...

In the meantime, there is no solution but to downgrade to 10.11 as QT is no longer present on 10.12.

In the longer term, I have a working pix_film using the newer framework, AVFoundation, ported from OpenFrameworks but there are some performance issues I haven’t figured out yet. Once that’s ironed out I’ll port the video grabber next.

It would be nice to get some development help on this, but it looks like in the end it’s up to me. Note, this is not a high priority for me right now.

> On Feb 1, 2017, at 4:00 AM, gem-dev-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: Jonghyun Kim <agitato816 at gmail.com <mailto:agitato816 at gmail.com>>
> Subject: Re: [GEM-dev] [pix_video] error with macbook's built-in camera
> Date: January 31, 2017 at 3:25:08 AM MST
> Cc: gem-dev at lists.iem.at <mailto:gem-dev at lists.iem.at>
>

> I also want to know how to solve the problem.
>
> akntk
>

> 2017. 1. 31. 01:30에 "Yousif Abdulghani" <usifaghani at gmail.com <mailto:usifaghani at gmail.com>>님이 작성:
> Hello there
>
> I work with PD on macbook pro - macOS Sierra.
>
> My built-in camera is not working with puredata since I have updated the OS to Sierra. When I use [pix_video] I get the error below:
>
> could not make new SG channnel error -9405
> [pix_video]: no valid video backend found
>
> Any solutions?
>
> Thank you!
> Yousif

--------