[PD-dev] [GEM] rendering context (gem2pdp)

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Thu Mar 6 09:16:11 CET 2003

> yup, I was thinking of something like "gemwinOFF" when I said gembuffer.
>
> pix_snap does do what tom needs to do for screen buffers.  however it is
> hideously slow, at least on my hardware.

same here (gforce4)
this seems to be what is going on with gem2pdp too..

> we need to ensure that wherever possible, fast paths are allowed or
> provided.  ie once you've rendered to an offscreen context which is a
> pbuffer, you can use that as a texture straight away without extracting the
> pixels and reloading it as a texture. (that reminds me: i have a
> pix_snap2tex object that does this in a pix_snap kind of way and runs 100
> times faster on my box)

i did some experiments and pbuf<->texture conversion too and it is very fast
indeed. i am looking into the possibility to add ogl texture and pbuf support
to pdp. if this works out and if gem could export/import textures or pbufs we
could have a very fast connection between both.