[PD-dev] download links on the website

Adam Lindsay atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 12:46:28 CET 2003

guenter geiger said this at Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:18:53 +0100:

>On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> I just had another thought about the site: instead of the Mailing Lists
>> page, I think it might be better to have a 'Support' or 'Help' page, that
>> would have links to many things and short desciptions of them, including
>> pdb, mailing lists, pddp, Miller's online docs, etc.
>
>The primary idea was that this would be handled by the pd webring.
>But you are right, we might put some selected links there, but
>who selects ?

Well, the webring, being self-selecting, is a good place to start as a
list of links.

However, this is extremely decentralised, and I think that it's
"friendlier" to newbies to present some sort of front page.

>Shouldn't we just put a link to pure-data.org ?

pure-data.org, as it is now, is pretty cool, but it doesn't seem to be up
to date or as an introductory page.

>The idea of the CVS is not to be another portal to get information
>about pd, but a common place to download code and a way
>how to organize what gets developed for pd and how.

This is true, but Pd really seems in need of a "front page", an
introduction to what Pd is, how to get started, what's generally
available, and where to go for more information. It doesn't have to be at
CVS, but it is indeed a central place where a lot of us are putting our
attention lately.

adam

 Adam T. Lindsay                      atl at comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Computing Dept, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/594.537
 Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/593.608