[PD-dev] devel_0_37: widgetbehavior, garray dirty flag

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Tue Aug 5 12:23:51 CEST 2003

hi Thomas,

I feel it is more like time for protecting widgetbehavior type
itself, instead of exposing its objects.  I expect the type
definition is going to change, after people start complaining
about flext objects being visible on-parent...

Besides, the long-term goal should be for externs to include only
m_pd.h -- g_canvas.h is declared unstable.

So my short-term proposal is to have an access call, declared

EXTERN t_widgetbehavior *class_getwidget(t_class *c);

The longer-term proposal is to have a set of access calls, one
for every callback, like

EXTERN void class_setpropertiesfn(t_class *c, t_propertiesfn f);

These routines would first check for an 'iscloned' flag introduced
into t_widgetbehavior (along with a 'visedonparent' flag).  If the
'iscloned' flag for a class c is zero, the routine will clone the
widgetbehavior, and set the flag.

This way, an extern would just have to define a callback, and call
class_set<whatever>fn() in class' setup routine, without bothering
about other callbacks at all.

Krzysztof