[PD-dev] externals in CVS, now what?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Oct 19 05:49:52 CEST 2003

There really should be documentation for how to do this.  Its on my
todo list...

Basically, if your external can be compiled as a standalone object and
its only dependencies are standard ones, then you can add them to the
'pd-externals' package.  You do this by adding files to
externals/build/src.  Open up the files there to see how its done, its
pretty simple.  Then each platform has a directory with what it needs
to build all those objects.  There is currently externals/build/linux,
externals/build/darwin, and externals/build/win.

If the externals have other dependencies, then currently it needs to be
build as a standalone package for each platform.  zexy, flext, cyclone
are examples of that.  But ideally everything would be in a unified
build system.  That's what Günter is working on for Debian, Nando for
RPMs, and Adam Lindsay and I for MacOS X, and me for Windows.

.hc

On Saturday, Oct 18, 2003, at 11:12 America/New_York, gml at xs4all.nl