[PD-dev] externals in CVS, now what about the help patches

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Oct 20 04:19:47 CEST 2003

On Sunday, Oct 19, 2003, at 09:57 America/New_York, gml at xs4all.nl wrote:

> I think I understand the build system a little bit now.
> What do I do with the help patches.
> There are copies in the build directory.
> And the linux makefile uses those, but the darwin makefile uses those
> in
> the original directories.

The old style was to copy all of the helpfiles into
externals/build/src.  Going forward, the helpfiles should be copied
directly from the source by the Makefile so that we only need to
maintain one copy of each helpfile.  MacOS X and Windows work this way
(Windows does it in the Inno pd.iss file instead of the Makefile), but
Debian needs to be updated to the new way.  In the meantime, if you
want your helpfiles in Debian, you need to also add them to
externals/build/doc.

> And I guess I should set the helpsymbol in the source, didn't the
> default
> change to help-myexternal.pd with 0.37?

You actually should not use class_sethelpsymbol() unless your helpfile
has a different name than your object, according to Miller.  So if your
external is called 'myexternal' and your help patch is called either
'help-myexternal.pd' or 'myexternal-help.pd' (the preferred style),
then you don't need class_sethelpsymbol(), pd will find it
automatically.

.hc