[PD-dev] "tracking third-party sources" in cvs

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Mar 21 22:42:21 CET 2004

Hallo,

> On Saturday, Mar 20, 2004, at 21:47 America/New_York, Frank Barknecht
> >I'd like to announce another idea I had tonight while out clubbing
> >(forgive me, if it doesn't make sense because of this...)
> >
> >I wonder, if an "installer" branch would make sense. In this branch,
> >the package maintainers could make changes that ease packaging, like
> >for example unifying variables in Makefiles and so on. Later this
> >could be merged to upstream.
> >
> >Good idea?
> >

> You think about installers while clubbing? ;)  Anyway, I don't think
> its really necessary to have a separate branch.  The installer-specific
> files are in their own directories and usually, the changes that I need
> to make when making the installers are generally helpful, ie making
> things easier to build, etc.

Actually I was thinking about packaging at home, when doing an
extended Debian rules file and I found, that the flext-externals use
inconsistent namings. Sometimes FLEXTPATH should point to the toplevel
flext directory, sometimes if should point to  flext/source, sometimes
to flext/pd-linux (or similar). The idea to fix this with branching
came while clubbing (loud music sometimes helps with thiso ;)

If FLEXTPATH was consistent, then the rules-file (which basically is a
Makefile) could just set FLEXTPATH once and for all, but this would
need changes inside the respective external directories.

ciao