[PD-dev] making the font size the same cross-platform

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 25 18:39:33 CET 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I have been working on a bunch of cross-platform patches and the
> different font sizes of each platform is driving me nuts.  Anyone know
> the root of this or have any suggestions as to how to fix it?

I found yesterday that the default Tcl/Tk font isn't {Helvetica 9 bold},
it is instead {Helvetica -12 bold}, which looks exactly the same on my
computer. The reason is this:

«

-size <size>

The desired size of the font.  If the size argument is a positive number,
it is interpreted as a size in points.  If size is a negative number, its
absolute value is interpreted as a size in pixels.  If a font cannot be
displayed at the specified size, a nearby size will be chosen.  If size is
unspecified or zero, a platform-dependent default size will be chosen.

» -- man 3tk font