[PD-dev] threaded gui & cvs

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Thu Apr 1 06:12:18 CEST 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 3:35 PM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> you won't have to use SIMD optimization for pd, to get the full
> performance out of the fft objects, unless fftw uses them. on the other
> hand i added some optimize flags to pd's configure script ... at least
> p4 will get the best optimization i know of...
> but even without all the SIMD optimizations fftw uses a faster
> algorithm
> to compute the fft, and most of the performance will come from that, so
> it's not that a big difference if you use SIMD or not...

I was thinking more about Altivec and PPC where the gains will be huge.
  I had thoughts of using Apple's vDSP lib because it's FFT produces
some ridiculous throughput (10+GFLOPS on a G5), but fftw gets about 2/3
the performance and is cross-platform which is a plus.

I'll try to check it out soon and see what difference it makes.

cgc