[PD-dev] how to maintain "main" 0.38 and 0.39 branches together?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Nov 8 22:55:45 CET 2004

On Nov 8, 2004, at 4:22 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> guenter geiger hat gesagt: // guenter geiger wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>> I still vote for "main" in whatever combination with numbers and
>>> unspeakable letters...
>>
>> I think calling a branch "main.." might lead to confusion with
>> the main trunk. Thats why I would call it the  "stable.." branch.
>
> I don't stick to "main", "msp" would also be okay, although "main" is
> more appropriate IMO. But I have a slight problem with "stable".
> "stable" should only be used after a release. Similar to the way,
> Debian handles the name "stable", for *the* version to rely on, if you
> need reliability.
>
> I actually like what Hans proposed in his "best practice" mail: Have
> "release_x" branches, and release candidates branches (which is the
> state, 0.38 is currently in).

Actually, the tag "release_0_38" represents the actual release, while
the branch "release_0_38_patches" represents the HEAD for the patches
to that release, if I understand correctly.  That is the reason for the
tag in addition to the branch, and also for the "_patches" part, since
that branch is not the actual release, but the release plus patches.

.hc