[PD-dev] saving preset pools in the parent path, rather than the abstraction path?

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Nov 12 11:56:14 CET 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Yes, I thought so, too, one time, but this is not that easy. For
> example, I use several abstractions which use other, private
> abstractions in turn hidden in subdirectories or being next to the
> main abstracion, or which use saved textfiles or similar things, which
> I need to find somehow. The only way to find them -- so it seems to me
> -- is by using the path of the abstraction itself as reference.  One
> cannot know the path of the parent in advance, and it will never be
> the same on different user's machines.
>
> So I would prefer the default behaviour to stay, as it is currently,
> that is, reference "." as the directory of the abstraction.
>
> However *if* an abstraction wants to know the parent's path, this
> should be made explicit, either by inlet things, or by an int/external
> for this purpose as a [pwd]

Well, yes, most probably changing a fundamental concept like I suggested
is a bad idea.

I have hacked up obj1.c in order to provide the functionality, file is
attached, use the makefile from doc/6.externs to compile it.

It does not give the path of the parent patch but of the main patch,
but this can easily be changed in the new routine.

Guenter