[PD-dev] ideas for developing data structure further

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Dec 18 21:46:59 CET 2004

In the process of making my "Solitude" composition, I came up with a
few ideas for improvements on Pd's data structures:

- a way to delete scalars

The biggest improvement would be the addition of a method to delete
scalars.  This would allow a number of things. A simple example would
be to have a cursor and minute markers that only exists when the score
is being played.   A really great example would be the ability to show
and hide parts of the graphical representation.    For example, each
voice could be saved to an individual file, then with a toggle, it
would be displayed or hidden.

- a way to raise/lower scalars so you can get to scalars that are
blocked by others

This is minor, but it would be handy to have a "send-to-back" function,
so that you could get to scalars that are completely obscured by
another.

- full color support (8-bits for each R, G, B)

If the data structures support standard 24-bit color, then color could
be a much more usable dimension.  The current scheme is a bit odd, and
is quite limited in terms of the range of colors it can represent.

____

"Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope."
                                                      -Edsger Dykstra