[PD-dev] API documentation

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Sat Jan 8 20:41:15 CET 2005

>> and: nice working is better than nice looking :)

Of course. But nice looking never hurt no one ;) or did it?:

"America is like the pretty girl in High School who said 'everyone hates
me because I'm pretty.' No, everyone hates you, because you're a jerk."
-Laurie Anderson from "The End of the Moon"

Sorry for the tangent.

> How about something like HeaderDoc?  Its an open standard, reasonably
> common, and easy to implement.  Plus the source for the API docs would
> be in the headers themselves, and therefore more likely to be
> maintained by those making changes to the API.

I'm not familiar with HeaderDoc per se, but I was thinking of something
that would have a good degree of automation. The Java documentation
system is nice in its ability to automatically generate standardized API
docs. Automatic links to functions and syntax hilighting would be good
for web viewing. Also if we use something like HeaderDoc there would at
least be a stub document for each source file, which could be added to
as time allows.

I'll start looking at solutions, starting with HeaderDoc and hope to
have a skeleton up within the next week. Adding to it and making it more
specific will need to be up to those who know more about it, since the
whole reason I'm doing this is because I need to use it ;)

-Ian