[PD-dev] Buggy fft/soundfiler in 0_38 devel?

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Thu Feb 10 01:19:48 CET 2005

> pd_devel + threaded soundfiler + mayer fft = crash with pvoc.pd
> pd_devel + "standard" soundfiler + mayer fft = no sound (more less) in
>
> pvoc.pd, _no_crash_
> pd_devel + threaded/"normal" soundfiler + fftw = _no_crash_ but weird
> sound in pvoc.pd
i just checked my mail archive ... thomas grill told me about this back
in november ...
i suppose, the dsp chain will be recompiled in the helper thread, thus
the fftw setup routines will be run, which are not threadsafe (this is a
guess)...

i'm about 99.99% sure, that this can be solved, if the arrays will be
redesigned properly...

this wouldn't be a big problem, but i won't do it, since i would do it
one way, miller would do it differently for 0.43 or so, which would
result in 2 incompatible versions of pd.

at the moment devel_'s changes could still be merged with head ... but
the more changes there are, the more difficult it gets. and at one point
we have a fork :-(

this is something that really should be avoided.

on the wiki page for irc developer meeting, a threadsafe handling of
arrays is one of the point, i've added...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk