[PD-dev] cvs admin question ...

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Mar 2 10:43:18 CET 2005

� wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think there is no reason for thomas to fear (man cvs). The CVS is a

i do not know a way to explain fear.
but i don't think "man cvs" will help. (nor does "man freedom")

> place for collaboration, not a marketplace for externals. If Thomas

aren't there projects there that are already read-only for other devs ?
why ?
what makes tom schouten's approach better (sorry ts that i keep abusing
your way of usage: no criticism intended): overwriting any changes made
to the CVS via a daily cron-job ?

> doesn't want to collaborate, then why does he want to put his externals
> there ?
> Did you talk him into that, or is it his own decision ?

we talked him into that.
we are currently restructuring development at the iem (this is: using
collaborative development of projects with cvs-alike systems).
we try to minimize administrative overhead: for us of course; but also
for other people who obviously felt the need to put "iemlib" into the
CVS (which i think was a good idea) and who now have to manually (or
scripted or ...) sync it with the releases.

> There is also no reason for his paranoia, obviously he did not
> understand what the purpose of the devel version of pd is.

i told him so

> Since the existance of CVS there has not been a single case where we
> had problems.

i know

still, why should it not be possible for tm if it is possible ?

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes