[PD-dev] cvs admin question ...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Mar 2 19:48:58 CET 2005

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> no problem with me ... maybe it's better to give my admin account to
> iohannes or someone else from the iem ...
>
> since the iem is _the_ institution supporting pd and a lot of
> development is done there, it's kind of silly, that i'm admin, but none
> from the iem ...
>
> so kill my account and add iohannes or someone from the iem ...
>
> i really don't want to make any trouble to anyone

I think, this issue should cool down a bit first. I totally agree with
Hans, that a change to files like those in CVSROOT should be discussed
openly before this is done. Nothing is gained by quickly changing
something, but it's possible to break other people's work habits by
doing this to fast.

However of course we also need to find out which issues are those
issues that need an open discussion first. In this regard I would say,
that unless something was already discussed, it should be discussed if
there could be doubts about the opinions of the other developers and
admins.

This of course applies to the "who is an admin" question or more
widely to the "who should be a registered developer" question. Before
I added you to be an admin I mailed the other admins and asked if that
would be okay or if someone objects to this. Noone objected, some
agreed through silence, some agreed explicitly to my question. IMO
this habit of "first ask, then act" should go without saying.  I
always announced beforehandi here, if I intended to add someone as a
developer to the repository.

Things like this must be made open on this list or at least to all
admins before action is taken, period. I'm sure you also understand
this, even if this issue is a bit "flamy" here currently. But this is
the common ground for a project like the repository, and it is
important that everyone involved understands and adheres to it.

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38