[PD-dev] just look at these numbers

ix at replic.net ix at replic.net
Fri Mar 11 02:28:08 CET 2005

> how do these throughput measuments really reflect on actual performance
> characterisitics?

his throughput measurements are awefully polite ...see below.

>ie, is the windows tk gui getting bottlenecked by this?

it may begin by numboxes or sliders failing to update and progress until you have to just wait it out or kill the app..

> >these are transfer rates for the connection from pd.38 to pd-gui,
> >measured on an 800MHz PC (the only box I have with windows):

this 'real-world' test uses 256 element lists-of-floats.. after trickling over it's appended to a BLT::Vector..the gui-msg are also sent to a textfile object to find actual size....

	samples		sizeK	ms		speedK/s

windows (win32-xp-sp2):
	11751		116	332		349.3975
	51795		513	1573		326.1284
	222743		2229	7072		315.1867
	1404800		13722	51536		266.2605
	2302720		(pd still at 100% after a couple mins)

linux (2.6.11-gentoo-r1 x86_64)
      well, i tried to run the test patch, but pd keeps crashing with this:
      *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x000000000372aad0 ***

we have a winner...Windows!!