[PD-dev] list of lists and list inlets

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 14 22:43:55 CET 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, max jacob wrote:

> question 1: i saw that the t_atom has a field "word" which is a union
> including a _glist struct. but there is nothing like an atom_getlist()
> method. is there a way to embed lists in atoms allowing to build
> nested lists (lists of lists)? and, if yes, are there some pitfalls
> due to memory management?

The answer is no. This is an ongoing discussion on this mailing-list: stay
tuned.

Basically, contrary to "float", "symbol", "pointer", the "list" type is
not an atom-type, it's only a message-type. I am proposing the addition of
a list atom-type, although it needs a different name and won't be
compatible with other lists.

In the meanwhile, GridFlow and some other libraries are faking nested
lists in PureData, but it's slow and ugly.