[PD-dev] tcl errors in the PD console... (using dynamic patching from tot directory listing)

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Wed Mar 23 23:29:58 CET 2005

Hi Ben,

> Has pyext emerged as the standard cross-platform way of doing scripting
> in PD? (directory listing, simple string processing etc..) I realize I
> could use shell, but would rather avoid future difficulties in windows
> now. One question about pyext, can a single external pass data
> internally to another instance? That is can multiple pyext scripts
> share
> data via python rather than through the patch?

i don't know if py/pyext is some kind of standard... i'm still not sure
either if it's lightweight enough for usage in a real-time system,
although i'm constantly trying to improve the situation. I think that
the "detached modes" (1 and 2) should work pretty well in the meantime.
Currently, all py/pyext objects share a common interpreter, but each
script is loaded as a discrete module.
In this sense equal scripts (loadable by several py/pyext objects) can
share "global" data, whereas different script should (i never tried
this) be able to share data within modules they "imported".
In the future i plan some even more detached mode, where the whole
script (including initialization) is running in the background, if
desired every instance with its own interpreter.

best greetings,
Thomas