[PD-dev] Re: [PD] VASP future

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Fri Mar 25 22:37:44 CET 2005

> The global symbol-table would deal with:
>   1. the unique numbering of symbols based on string comparison
>   2. the holding of global variables (array names / receive-symbols)
>
> A "local" symbol-table would deal with:
>   1. the holding of "local" variables
>   2. that's all
>
> The $-prefixes would really become scope indicators. $0-hello would
> access the local table $0 using the t_symbol "hello". This would *not*
> create a t_symbol "1000-hello" anymore.
i was thinking about this ... from my point of view, there are 2
different ways to implement this:

1. rewrite the $X resolving:
at the moment it'd not known, if a symbol starts with $0, $2 or 1234 ...
the resolving is done when the object is being created... this could be
changed by using $X as kind of namespaces with a symbol table for every
parent canvas ... i think this would be the most elegant solution...

2. hack gensym:
if the string begins with a number, use the corresponding symbol table
... still, this would be an ugly hack ...

i'd prefer the first solution, although it would change most of pd's $X
handling ... it's cleaner, though ...

any other possible solutions?

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs