[PD-dev] Re: symbol tables

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Mar 26 13:03:28 CET 2005

Hallo,
Krzysztof Czaja hat gesagt: // Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> this is not just a minor implementation detail.  You are
> talking about introducing a completely different semantics for
> $0-symbols.  Global symbol atoms, as they are defined currently,
> are immutable entities.  Any Pd object may transparently store
> them, retrieve, etc.

"Passing $0" around through send/receives, in- and outlets and
abstraction arguments is a very important idiom in Pd. It is crucial
for reusability of abstractions. I admit, that I don't really
understand how the proposed change works and what consequences it will
have, but if it would make accessing the $0 of some remote abstraction
through above mechanisms impossible, it would not only break patches,
it would break a way of thinking in Pd.

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41