[PD-dev] "scripts" section of CVS

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Mar 30 17:40:12 CEST 2005

*cough*

There are of course of general use just to help me with making the
pixelTANGO abstractions easier and less redundant. So far I have:

stripExtension which allows you to remove the .pd part of a filename so
you can call it as an abstraction in the patch.

stripPath removes the path component of a filename leaving just the
"tail" this is useful for #1, making popup's full of files show only the
tail and not the WHOLE path to the file. This system will need a little
help to make it work better. This is also useful to generate a
pd-abstraction.pd name from a set of listed files.

dirlist just globs the files in a certain folder.

There will probably be more things like this as things move along.

So there are two parts to these things, the script (currently called
"pt.py" which contains the python code for all of them.) and abstraction
wrappers that look like:

             [inlet]

[py pt (function)]

[outlet]

Where (function) is the name of the abstraction as well as the method in
the pt.py file. dirlist, stripExtension, stripPath.

These patches are so simple that they could be generated from the pt.py
script.

The only reason I did not use pyext is that there seems to be more code
for the same thing and the same complex treatment of atom types and
such. This method looks to be much faster.

My main reason for asking the question was that we have both the
abstractions (that should reasonably go into abstractions) and then the
script part, that should go in scripts/  or along side the abstractions
in abstractions? (since the script needs to be in the pd path anyhow).

I think it makes more sense to put it all in the abstractions section,
but perhaps the script to generate the patches should be in scripts... Arg!

Advice?

b>