[PD-dev] pddp style guide

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun May 1 23:34:56 CEST 2005

The idea of an HTML PDDP sounds great. It will require a TclTK browser
widget in Pd, a pddpserver, and a Pd reference done in Docbook.  None
of these exist and AFAIK, no one is working on these things.
HTML/Docbook would undoubtedly produce more flexibility in formatting,
but we can make a decently formatted reference with what we have now
with all of the functionality (except for maybe clickable URLs in Pd,
but that shouldn't be too hard to implement, right?).

It would not take much work to make some PDDP templates
(reference/-help.pd, examples, and all_about_) and reformat the content
that we have now, and we'd have the beginnings of a very functional
help/reference for Pd.

I know what I propose is not the ideal solution, but it is a realistic
one, and one that is already underway.  The idea for PDDP started in
2002, its obviously not moving fast.  So I think it makes a lot of
sense to have a less than perfect system now rather than wait years
more for a perfect one.  And then we can learn from the first
experience how to better implement the perfect system.  Who was it that
said you have to implement the program in order to know how to
implement it?

.hc

On May 1, 2005, at 12:30 PM, Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> If we can do it in Pd, why not do it in Pd?  The example patches that
>
> we cannot, unless after developing a browser widget.  Using it
> would be perfectly ok, once it is available.
>
>> go with the text would need to be opened from the browser (or
>> whatever).  There are a number of problems with launching .pd files
>> from other applications, many of which are platform-specific and
>
> no, it is much simpler -- when "pddpserver" receives a GET request
> for a path, it might do just this:
>
> if {[string equal [file extension $path] .pd] && [otherconditions]} {
>    pd [concat pd open [file tail $path] [file dirname $path] \;]
>    set path [htmlpageof $path]
> }
> #... carry on serving

>> I am not sure what you mean by "unparsable comments".  Using a
>> multi-line regexp, you can grab all chunks that start with '#X text
>
> parse-and-pray...
>
>> [0-9-]* [0-9-]*' and ends with a non-escaped ';'.    The '#X text
>> [0-9-]* [0-9-]*' would be equivalent to an HTML <p> and ';' to a </p>
>
> html is docbook's output, not source...
>
> Krzysztof

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams