[PD-dev] cvs externals linux : m2f~

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Tue May 10 09:00:15 CEST 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, cr wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 02:45:46AM -0400, patrick wrote:
> > after doing a make in /build/linux from a cvs (cvs -z3
> > -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co
> > externals) i got this error after the compilation of m2f~.c
> >
> > rm -f "m2f~.o"
> > make: *** No rule to make target `makefile.common', needed by `all'.  Stop.
>
> the old build system is buggy (how do you build libraries? why is it
> hardcoded to use obsolete headers? why does it copy the help files
> twice?, why does it need makefile.common? why is there dozens of random
> things hacked into the 'make install' which often cause install to
> fail?), fortunately there is an alternative you might want to try:
>
> cd /externals/build/ and type 'scons'

I think scons is really nice, but it won't save us from the problem of
not having a standardized way of building externals. Because of this,
when you stop maintaining the system it will break down.

The old system was designed to automatically compile new additions.
I think the goal of a new system should be to allow this.

I would like to help with this, unfortunateley I can't find the time to do
so anymore. This makes me think that I should officially step back from
being the maintainer of the pd CVS on sourceforge, I hope the one taking
over will be more successful.

Guenter