[PD-dev] Re: array locks

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Tue May 24 14:31:41 CEST 2005

Hi all,
i'm also very much interested in a way to have smooth loading and
scripting of DSP objects.
I tried once to divide the graph into one instance per root patcher,
but i ended up with changing practically everything and got totally
lost in the code.
Maybe, before introducing such a radical change there are ways to make
it possible with workarounds and optimizations

- First, there is the new low priority callback in the devel branch. It
was motivated by the wish to do things whenever there is time to....
e.g. adding objects into a patch.
It should be possible to open a new patcher, drop in the objects and
after all have been loaded, loadbang/dsp the whole thing into
existence. I'm currently trying to do that in dyn~, but it should also
be possible in PD itself.

- Second, when profiling the creation of DSP objects (on OSX) i found
that most of the time is wasted with memory allocation and disposal
(above all in ugen_done_graph, ugen_add etc.). It should be possible,
to cleverly reuse already allocated memory if the change in the graph
hasn't been too drastic.

best greetings,
Thomas