[PD-dev] motex cvs

Iain Mott mott at reverberant.com
Wed Jun 1 02:40:18 CEST 2005

hello list

I recently contacted Guenter via sourceforge to ask to be listed as a Pd
project developer. Specifically I wish to update my "motex" externals on
the CVS site which someone had kindly uploaded for me a few years ago.

Since my externals were already on the CVS, Guenter granted me developer
access without running this past the pd-dev list. He suggested though
that I let the list know what my plans are:

The first thing i'd like to do is include the "sqlsingle" external. This
was previously omitted from motex but was available separately from my
web site. In brief, sqlsingle allows the use of SQL messages to
communicate and retrieve data from a postgreSQL dbase. Since it requires
postgresql to be installed in order to compile, i'll create a separate
compilation option in the makefile. The external has been tested on
Linux only, but since I have postgresql installed on a Windows box (a
big drama for me to do!) - I'll attempt to test it on Windows too.

For the CVS version of sqlsingle i'd like to change its name to
"postgresqlpd" as I may decide to change the way various data types are
formated in its output (currently some are sent to lists as floats for
convenience and everything else as symbols). Binary data type handling
won't be added. Additionally, I may (if it's easy to do) adapt the
external for use with mysql databases. This would be called "mysqlpd".

Beyond that I hope to write two new externals in order to read and write
to disk in the "speex" compression format (see www.speex.org). This
format for those that don't know it is an open source codec similar to
ogg vorbis but optimised for speech. I'll get back to the list about
this project as there are some issues regarding downsampling that i'll
need to resolve.

If anyone has any comments - please let me know!

cheers, iain

--
Iain Mott
www.reverberant.com